Microwaves can be the source of many strong smells—from burnt popcorn to strong-smelling fish. Below are 12 ways to deodorize your microwave and banish those odors.
Some tips before you start:
- Before deodorizing the microwave, clean it with a clean sponge dipped in warm water and dish soap.
- Use a microwave-safe bowl at all times.
- If one solution doesn’t work, try another. All of these solutions have been proven successful, but different methods may work better for different smells. Most people found that the coffee-based solutions worked most effectively.
Baking Soda and Vinegar
- Read more: Top 10 Best Toaster Ovens 2018
1. Fill a microwave-safe bowl with ½ cup of water and 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Microwave for 5 minutes and then leave the door shut for 10 to 15 minutes afterward. Remove the bowl and wipe the microwave with a paper towel, cloth, or sponge.
2. Soak a sponge in vinegar and then sprinkle baking soda on top. Microwave the sponge for 25 seconds. Use the warm sponge to wipe down the microwave. Rinse the sponge thoroughly. Clean the microwave with water and dish soap and dry with a paper towel or cloth.
3. Open a new box of baking soda and leave it in the microwave overnight.
4. Combine ½ cup of water and ½ cup of vinegar in a bowl. Dip a clean sponge or paper towel in the vinegar/water mixture and use it to clean the inside of the microwave. When done, fill a bowl with a ½ cup of vinegar and leave in the microwave overnight. In the morning, clean the microwave with soap and water and dry with a clean cloth.
5. Put 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a microwave-safe bowl and add in 1 cup of water. Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes and then wipe the inside of the microwave with paper towels or a clean cloth.
6. Get peels from two oranges or cut a lemon in half. Put the peels or lemon slices and two cups of water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes. Every few minutes, check to ensure the water isn’t boiling over and the peels aren’t burning.
After the 5 minutes is up, leave the bowl in the microwave for at least 30 minutes or overnight if possible. Clean the microwave with dish soap and water and dry with paper towels or a clean cloth.
7. Put 5 tablespoons of lemon juice in microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes. Keep the door shut and leave the bowl in the microwave for an hour. Then wipe down the microwave with soap and water.
8. Put 4 teaspoons of vanilla extract in a microwave-safe bowl filled with 2 cups of water. Microwave until the water boils. Keep the door shut for 30 minutes and then wipe down the microwave with a cloth.
9. Fill a small bowl with ¼ cup of cloves and leave the cloves in the microwave overnight.
10. Put 2 tablespoons of coffee grounds in a microwave-safe bowl and add ½ cup of water. Microwave for 2 to 10 minutes. Check every few minutes to make sure it doesn’t boil over. Add more water if needed. Remove the bowl at the end of 10 minutes or keep repeating until the smell is gone.
11. Put ½ cup of baking soda and ½ cup of coffee grounds onto a plate. Leave the plate in the microwave overnight.
12. Put rubbing alcohol on cotton balls, paper towels, or a cloth and clean the inside of the microwave. When finished, wash the microwave with soap and water and dry.
If you want to try something different, consider the Angry Mama Microwave Cleaner. This plastic device is about 6 inches tall and literally looks like an angry mama—complete with an angry face, arms out at her sides, and an old-fashioned hairdo.
Once filled with water and vinegar, you “cook” Angry Mama and steam comes out the top of her head—spreading throughout the microwave to soften dirt and deodorize.
Here is how to use the Angry Mama Microwave Cleaner:
- Remove Angry Mama’s hair and head.
- Fill her body with vinegar up to the vinegar fill line. (This is marked on her body.)
- Fill to the next line with water.
- To add a pleasant smell, add in a few drops of lemon juice or favorite essential oil (optional).
- Put the head and hair back on the Angry Mama.
- Put the Angry Mama in the microwave and run the microwave for 5 to 7 minutes on high. During this time, the water and vinegar mixture will steam out of her head and spread throughout the microwave.
- After the 5 to 7 minutes is up, wait an additional two minutes with the door closed.
- Remove the Angry Mama from the microwave by her arms, which should stay cool. To be safe, we recommend using oven mitts.
- Pour any remaining cleaning solution left in Angry Mama onto a sponge or paper towel and wipe down the inside of the microwave.
You should now have a clean and deodorized microwave. Angry Mama is dishwasher safe.
Users had mixed results while using Angry Mama. Some users raved about how cute she was and the fantastic job she did cleaning and deodorizing the microwave. Others felt that Angry Mama was an unnecessary item and that you could put water and vinegar in a bowl and accomplish the same thing. Some users didn’t have good results after using Angry Mama.
Overall, reviews were mostly positive—with 62% of reviewers giving the Angry Mama Microwave Cleaner a rating of 4 or 5 stars.
Angry Mama is available in different color combinations depending on your preference.
Hopefully one of these tips will help you get the bad smell out of your microwave. Which solution did you find most useful? Did you use a technique we didn’t mention here? If so, share it in the comments!