Back in the days when non-stick pans coated in Teflon were in vogue, one could easily prepare some “sticky-prone” delicacies like crepes, omelette and many fatty foods. Following the recent discovery of Teflon as a carcinogenic material, most families and cooks, amidst safety worries, are moving to other alternatives. However, some yummy delicacies cannot be avoided.
Consequently, newer kitchen cookware is flooding the market without the controversial Teflon coating but retaining the non-stick property. So far, reactions and reviews of these products have been positive. If you’ve not considered or will be considering these products, then this article is for you. To save you from gambling and relieve you of the stress in decision making, we have included in this article, a list of top 5 best non-stick pans without Teflon. Our review of each product is also included.
Before moving to these products and their reviews, a little understanding of what Teflon is, will be a nice way to start off.
- 1 What is Teflon?
- 2 How to Choose a Non-Stick Pan Without Teflon
- 3 Top 5 Best Non-Stick Pans Without Teflon 2019
- 4 Conclusion
What is Teflon?
Most people are familiar with the word “Teflon” with several old gen cookware set carrying the word on their package. However, Teflon is just a common name of the chemical, polyfluorotetraethylene (also called PFTE). Comprising, basically, of fluorine and carbon, it is partially less reactive due to the strong bonds between the two elements.
Teflon became popular in the 1930s and was subsequently adopted by several cookware manufacturers. It gained so much fame due it’s non-stick property and as an inert material. It has a high melting point of about 330°C and doesn’t melt when cooking, even if it does, it behaves like a gel and its less obvious.
With a Teflon-coated pan, one can prepare fatty recipes and those that require low oil with ease. Teflon has found other uses in fabrics, wires and other material, giving them waterproof property. It is also used as lubricants in many types of machinery. There is some benefit associated with the use of Teflon as well as disadvantages.
- Cookware coated with Teflon as often scratch-resistant.
- Teflon is a highly non-polar material. Therefore, when layered in pans, the pans earn the desirable non-stick property.
- Teflon-coated fabrics and cables are waterproof.
- Teflon, when heated, can generate toxic fumes. These fumes are capable of harming pets as well as causing flu in humans. Shockingly, this flu can last up to three days.
- If the Teflon coating in cookware becomes weak, it is possible to consume bits of Teflon as they continuously break into the food.
- Recently, Teflon has been shown to be carcinogenic.
- Teflon cannot cope at temperatures above 326°F, hence, it can melt and change its shape.
How to Choose a Non-Stick Pan Without Teflon
Non-stick pans are must-haves in most homes. Food ingredients such as eggs are prone to getting sticky, hence, non-stick pans are best to avoid such. Asides being non-stick, they are easy to clean. Now that you really need to buy a new or replacement non-stick pan, there are some things you might want to consider. Truly, your budget contributes the largest chunk of decision-making, however, it is not restricted to it alone. You might need to consider some intrinsic characteristics of the cookware you intend buying.
Non-stick pans are made from three common materials – Iron, Aluminium and Stainless Steel. Aluminium pans are lightweight and great heat conductors but do not spread heat properly. They are often coated with either the controversial Teflon or Ceramic. Iron pans are cheaper, heavier and retain heat better than Aluminium ones. They do not require any coating, although you have to season them properly to enhance their non-stick ability. Stainless pans can be regarded as an intermediary between Aluminium and Iron pans. It is also important to know that Aluminium pans do not work on induction stoves except if it comes with a Stainless Steel base. A simple way to know this is by placing a magnet under your pan. If it is attracted, it will work on induction stoves.
Pans come in various sizes. The common pan sizes are the 8, 10 and 12-inch ones. Before concluding on what to buy, you need to consider your family size and what you intend using the pan for. You might also consider the size of your cabinet too.
The weight of a pan varies from product to product. However, Iron pans are often the heaviest of the three common build materials, followed by Stainless Steel and Aluminium being the lightest.
There’s nothing bad in having a top-quality pan and still having a top-notch design. Looking at the T-fal endura, it comes with a meteor-design, a blend of grey, white and black which will definitely impress buyers and subsequently complement your kitchen’s decor.
5. Additional features
Asides the basic features to look out for, some pans come with lids, handle holders, extra handles and Silicon handles. Some non-iron non-stick pots are enhanced to work on induction stoves.
Top 5 Best Non-Stick Pans Without Teflon 2019
Everybody wants to enjoy those delicious omelettes, however, without a non-stick pan, it can be a little messy and frustrating. Teflon-coated wares have been very useful in preparing these mouth-watering meals in an attractive manner. In lieu of the recent discovery and the controversy surrounding the use of Teflon in cookware, various individuals and families have expressed worries. Some researchers claimed that Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), which is used to manufacture Teflon, is toxic and remnants of this chemical are left in the finished Teflon used to coat cookware. When this cookware is overheated or used at high temperature, this chemical is subsequently released. Fortunately, there are many alternative non-stick wares that do not associate with Teflon. Below are some alternatives you might want to consider and their reviews.
1. GreenPan Lima 12-inch Ceramic Fry Pan – Editor’s pick
- Comes with glass lids.
- Riveted, study stainless steel handlebar.
- Can withstand temperature up to 420 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Thermolon ceramic coating.
- 12-inch diameter.
- Aluminium build.
As the brand name suggests, the word “Green” is often associated with safety, environment and freshness. The product is safe and free of Lead, PFOA, Cadmium and PFAS even when used at high temperatures.
The safe-to-use fry pan is made from anodized Aluminium coated with Thermolon ceramic. Contributing to its impressive look, it comes with riveted steel handles and glass lid to observe your food. The product comes with a two-year warranty.
- Since the pan employs ceramic as its coating, one should worry less about toxic substances such as Lead, PFOA, Cadmium and PFAS.
- Another impressive benefit of the ceramic coating; there is no occurrence of consuming peels or flakes of harmful substances after prolonged use, as in the case of Teflon-coated pans.
- The pan comes with a glass lid, allowing you to monitor your food whilst preventing spills.
- The riveted, sturdy handle for better handling while cooking.
- Thanks to its ceramic coating, the cookware can withstand temperatures reaching 420 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The cookware spreads and retains heat easily.
- Although ceramic seems hard, it is brittle and can shatter when dropped.
- Unfortunately, after many heating and cooling rounds, the pan may lose its non-stick ability.
- Ceramic coating.
- Aluminium build.
- Sturdy heat-resistant handle.
- Magnetized base.
- Available in three sizes – 8, 10 and 12 inches.
The Ozeri product is another “Green” product on this list. The pans are available in three sizes – 8, 10 and 12 inches – to suit your function.
The product flaunts an impeccable design finished with a lime-green-coloured theme, which will definitely add to the aesthetics of your kitchen. In place of the common Teflon coating, the pan features ceramic coating, designed by Greblon in Germany, for its non-stick ability.
In terms of handling, the handles are coated with silicon, a heat-resistant material, and riveted nicely to the pan. The pan is made of Aluminium which is a good heat conductor. The pan also features a magnetized base to aid heat transfer when using induction stoves. The product comes with a one—year warranty.
- The pan is lightweight and comes with an impressive design.
- The handles are made to be heat—resistant, hence, there is less occurrence of burns.
- The base of the pan is made to aid heat transfer when using induction stoves.
- With the Greblon ceramic coating, it is free from heavy metals, PFTE, PFOA and other less common chemicals such as Alkylphenol ethoxylates (APEOs) and Alkyl pyrrolidones.
- The pans come in three sizes.
- The lids are only available as optional extras.
3. Kyocera Ceramic Coated Nonstick Pan – Best Premium Product
- Aluminium build with Ceramic coating.
- 10-inch pan diameter.
- Riveted stainless handle.
- Weighs just one pound.
- Suitable for ceramic, induction, gas and electric stoves.
Ceramic has proven to be a good replacement for Teflon and this is also observed in the Kyocera non-stick pan we have here. The 10-inch pan is pretty light, weighing just a pound. It comes with a nicely riveted stainless handle for more control when cooking.
With the lightweight and strong handle, you can flip your eggs with less stress. Asides the common gas and electric stoves, you can use the pan conveniently on ceramic and induction stoves. The pan is also available in other sizes – 8 and 12 inches.
- It comes with a strong stainless handle.
- At its base, it has a thick layer of Aluminium to facilitate more stability and heat conductivity.
- It can be used on ceramic, induction, gas and electric stoves.
- Can withstand temperatures reaching 400°F.
- The pan is wide enough to accommodate lots of ingredients.
- The handle might be hot to handle if the pan is used in an oven.
- Meteor-style outlook with ceramic internal coating.
- Weighs 1.7 pounds.
- 10.5 inches in diameter with a wide flat base.
- Heat indicator.
- Riveted stainless handle.
The T-fal product is an alluring pan you will surely love to covet for your kitchen. The pan flaunts a meteor-like design with its black background and white and grey patches. One would think it’s heavy pan prior to handling. Well, you are forgiven as it weighs a meagre 1.7 pounds.
The lightweight, together with the sturdy stainless handle, facilitates better handling. Impressively, it comes with a wide flat base which improves its stability when cooking.
The pan also comes with an intriguing feature – the heat indicator. Since preheating is important in cooking, the feature works by indicating when the pan is hot enough for cooking. When the pan is hot enough, the little red spot inside the pan appears different, becomes red and completely devoid of its initial design.
- It flaunts an impressive design that will definitely fit your kitchen’s decor.
- Appears heavier until you carry it. It weighs just 1.7 pounds.
- It has a wide flat base which helps to provide better stability when cooking.
- The stainless handle ensures a better grip.
- It is dishwasher-safe and oven-safe.
- At 10.5 inches diameter, the pan is pretty small and may not contain many ingredients at once.
- It doesn’t come in other designs.
- Not usable on induction stoves.
5. Lodge 12-inch Cast-Iron Pan – Best Budget Product
- A handle holder made from silicon.
- Comes with an assist handle.
- 12-inch wide.
- Cast-iron build.
- Black design with a wide flat base.
- Weighs 8 pounds.
With several positive reviews, the Lodge cast-iron pan is a worthy mention on this list. It is also the only pan without an Aluminium build or ceramic coating in this list.
The pan is spacious, capable of handling many ingredients. Indeed the pan is heavy, it comes with an assist handle which facilitates better handling. Furthermore, the product comes with a heat-resistant handle holder made from silicon to aid handling especially when hot.
- It doesn’t require any coating, be it ceramic or Teflon. Hence, one should not worry about any toxic substances.
- Since it is made of iron, it works pretty well on induction stoves.
- Although it doesn’t heat evenly, it does retain heat more than Aluminium pans.
- It can withstand extremely high temperatures.
- It is very strong and cannot break easily.
- It is pretty heavy, however, the assist handle is there to help in handling.
- Since it is made of iron, it is poorer than Aluminium in terms of heat conductivity. Also, preheating time may be a little longer.
- If not handled carefully, it may rust.
When it comes to heat conductivity and weight, Aluminium pans remain the best non-stick pans without Teflon. This justifies the dominance of Aluminium pans on this list. Often times, they are coated with ceramics, hence, they are free from PFTE, PFOA, heavy metals and other toxic materials.
Cast iron and Stainless Steel pans are also nice since they are much safer than Teflon-coated ones. However, the former is heavier and poor in heat conduction, while the latter is more prone to sticking. It is important to know that PFOA-free products are not PFTE-free, except stated otherwise.
By now, you should be able to make the right decision as to which cookware to buy. Indeed, the best pans are not restricted to this list. There are many nice pans available to use, however, the purpose of the article is fulfilled – to guide you.