Electric skillets are handy kitchen appliances with diverse applications. The 2019 electric skillets on the market are spectacularly functional while still maintaining a low price point for people with tight budgets.
This kitchen appliance can be used for all kinds of cooking situations, from sauteing to frying and warming to grilling. Some skillets may have more functions than others, but all have their own unique and special contributions to any kitchen.
The best electric skillet is the one that best suits your needs. No one skillet is best for everyone; every buyer has to take their personal preferences into account! This article will give you the guidance and information you need to make an educated decision.
- Read more: Top 10 Best Air Fryer Reviews 2019
- 1 How to Choose the Best Electric Skillet
- 2 Top 8 Best Electric Skillet Reviews for 2019
- 2.1 1. Presto Electric Foldaway Skillet – Best for Students and Small Kitchens
- 2.2 2. Maxi-Matic Elite Platinum Honeycomb – Good for Large Families or Professionals
- 2.3 3. Nesco 8-inch Electric Skillet (ES-08) – Best Skillet for a Budget
- 2.4 4. Cuisinart Nonstick Oval Electric Skillet – Best for Style-Saavy Cooks
- 2.5 5. Oster Electric Skillet (CKSTSKFM05) – Best Stainless Steel and Teflon Skillet
- 2.6 6. De’Longhi BG45 Electric Skillet – Sturdiest Electric Skillet for a Low Price
- 2.7 7. Proctor Silex Electric Skillet – Best Electric Skillet for Small Families and Couples
- 2.8 8. Presto Electric Skillet – Best Economically-Friendly Electric Skillet
- 3 How to Clean and Maintain an Electric Skillet
- 4 Electric Skillet FAQs
- 5 Conclusion
How to Choose the Best Electric Skillet
There are so many factors to take into account when picking out an electric skillet! With so much variety, it can be long process to tease apart all the details of each make and model of electric skillet. Follow these basic guidelines to make the best decision:
1. Consider the materials that the electric skillet is made from
Some electric skillets are made from aluminum, while others are made from stainless steel. Still others are made from even different materials. It’s important to factor in the pros and cons of each of these materials when making your final decision.
The nonstick coating used in electric skillets is frequently Teflon, although sometimes it’s a different material. Teflon can flake off over time if the appliance is overused, so this is a crucial factor to consider.
Price is an important factor in any purchase. Some electric skillets are very costly, even reaching up into the hundreds of dollars, while other electric skillets are more affordable (even down to $20). Taking the price into consideration is an absolute must.
Smaller skillets will usually be cheaper than larger skillets, but larger skillets might have more functionality and ease of use. Consider all the other factors before looking at price, unless price is the most important criteria for you.
How much space do you have in your kitchen? Take a look at where you want to put your electric skillet in your kitchen, and also consider the amount of space that you have to store the skillet when it isn’t in use.
There are a variety of skillets in all different sizes and shapes. Some are circular, some are rectangular, some are very small while others are quite large. Make sure that your kitchen can accommodate the electric skillet you want before you make a final decision!
4. Dishwasher safe?
Some electric skillets are completely dishwasher safe, while others are not. For individuals who want an electric skillet for its convenience, think about the possible downfalls of having to carefully hand-wash an electric skillet that’s not dishwasher safe.
Some of the best electric skillets can’t be washed in the dishwasher, however. People who want a durable and reliable appliance for purposes other than simple convenience may not be bothered by the idea of cleaning an electric skillet by hand.
5. Heating elements and temperature controls
The placement of the heating elements is extremely important to consider when making a purchase. Some electric skillets heat more evenly than others because of the location of heating elements, so think about what you’re planning to use the skillet for and how often you’ll use it.
Take notes on how hot each electric skillet gets, and think about your personal needs in terms of cooking temperatures. Most electric skillets heat to similar temperatures, but there are a few that have some different temperature controls and limits.
Top 8 Best Electric Skillet Reviews for 2019
||Presto Electric Foldaway Skillet||
||Check On Amazon|
||Maxi-Matic Elite Platinum Honeycomb||
||Check On Amazon|
||Nesco 8-inch Electric Skillet (ES-08)||
||Check On Amazon|
||Cuisinart Nonstick Oval Electric Skillet||
||Check On Amazon|
||Oster Electric Skillet (CKSTSKFM05)||
||Check On Amazon|
||De’Longhi BG45 Electric Skillet||
||Check On Amazon|
||Proctor Silex Electric Skillet||
||Check On Amazon|
||Presto Electric Skillet||
||Check On Amazon|
1. Presto Electric Foldaway Skillet – Best for Students and Small Kitchens
The Presto 16-inch electric skillet has a unique design that’s perfectly accustomed to the needs of individuals who live in small spaces.
The foldaway features of this electric skillet make it easy to store. The base and handles of the Presto 06857 can fit inside of the skillet for simple storage. This foldaway design also increases the multifunctionality of this skillet, as it can quickly be converted into a serving dish.
The Presto 16-inch electric skillet is fully capable of performing all the functions that its users would require. Prospective customers will be pleased to note that this electric skillet can fry, roast, grill, stew, and bake all different kinds of dishes.
Made from heavy cast aluminum coated with a nonstick coating, this electric skillet is durable and easy to clean. Although it features a nonstick coating, many users still recommend using a small amount of oil or butter during cooking.
The Presto 06857 electric skillet has a temperature range of 200-400 degrees Fahrenheit, perfect for cooking all different kinds of dishes. Users have noted that this skillet is capable of spreading heat evenly for quick and efficient cooking.
- Temperatures from 200-400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Multifunctionality; works as both a skillet and a serving dish
- Durable nonstick surface
- Compact storage
- Dishwasher safe
- Cooks evenly and consistently
- Nonstick surface may wear out over time
- Cord and control box get hot
- Glass lid is fragile
2. Maxi-Matic Elite Platinum Honeycomb – Good for Large Families or Professionals
This Elite Platinum electric skillet is perfect for people who cook regularly for large groups. It’s extremely sturdy and reliable, making it good for individuals who need an appliance they can count on.
Besides being one of the most durable electric skillets on this list, Elite Platinum’s EG-6203 model is also one of the largest since it possesses an 8 quart capacity. An M-shaped heating element ensures even heat distribution during cooking.
Like the first electric skillet on this list, this Elite Platinum electric skillet has an adjustable temperature range of 200-400 degrees Fahrenheit. The skillet’s controls are designed with special cool-touch technology, so cooks can make adjustments whenever necessary.
The heavy-cast aluminum, nonstick body of the electric skillet makes it strong and long-lasting. A tempered glass lid ensures that all parts of the skillet can withstand high temperatures over the long-term.
One unique feature of the Elite Platinum EG-6203 electric skillet is that it comes equipped with an indicator light. This indicator light tells the cook when the skillet is on and heating so that they can make adjustments as needed.
- Highly durable
- Built-in indicator light
- Temperatures of 200-400 degree Fahrenheit
- M-shaped heating element ensures even cooking
- Large enough for groups and big families
- Honeycomb-textured cooking surface
- Big and heavy
- Takes up a lot of counter space
3. Nesco 8-inch Electric Skillet (ES-08) – Best Skillet for a Budget
This is one of the smallest electric skillets on this list, and also one of the most affordable. It costs approximately half the price of other skillets, but it’s also about half the size. However, this is an excellent choice for individuals who want a new kitchen appliance but need to save money.
The compactness of this particular electric skillet is a fact to note; the skillet measures 10”x 12”x 6”, and weights only 3,6lbs. Because of its small size, the Nesco ES-08 electric skillet is highly recommended for singles, students, and travelers.
Don’t be fooled by the size! This Nesco electric skillet is a fully functional appliance capable of performing roasting and frying tasks with ease. The depth of the skillet is just enough for any cooking task.
Just like the other electric skillets on this list, the Nesco 8-inch electric skillet has a non-stick coating to make it easy to clean and easy to cook with. It also has a safety vent on the lid.
- Small, compact size
- Nonstick coating
- Safety vent on the lid
- Affordable cost
- Not dishwasher safe
- Heating element turns off; difficulty with maintaining temperature
- Can’t perform certain cooking tasks due to size limitations
4. Cuisinart Nonstick Oval Electric Skillet – Best for Style-Saavy Cooks
The Cuisinart CSK150 electric skillet is a stainless steel kitchen appliance that fulfills both the beauty and functionality requirements of home cooks.
This electric skillet model from Cuisinart is light and easily movable while still maintaining a respectable size of 13.5” x 19.8” x 6”. This movability combined with the roomy size of the skillet itself make it an excellent choice for cooks who favor functionality in all forms.
The glass lid of the Cuisinart CSK150 model is convenient for cooks who wish to watch their food as it cooks. The indicator light on the outside of the skillet also makes it easier for cooks to successfully manage the cooking process.
The Cuisinart CSK150 skillet model has exceptional multifunctionality already when the size and weight (4lbs) of the appliance is taken into account. But, this skillet also boasts temperature controls that reach to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, the highest of any other model on this list.
- Attractive stainless steel finish
- Lightweight yet of a good size
- Temperature reaches up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Includes an indicator light
- Dishwasher safe
- Lasts 3-5 years (on average)
- Plastic temperature control may melt
- Exhibits a loud buzzing/humming sound when in use
- Inside surface can be scratched easily
5. Oster Electric Skillet (CKSTSKFM05) – Best Stainless Steel and Teflon Skillet
This electric skillet is by far one of the most lightweight, full-size electric skillets on this list. The Oster Electric Skillet measures 16” x 12”, and comes in at only 4.5 pounds!
This Oster appliance is made principally from stainless steel, which accounts for it being so lightweight. Fans of stainless steel (or people who don’t like heavy cast aluminum) will prefer this skillet.
The interior nonstick coating is made of Teflon, making the inside cooking surface smooth. Individuals who love Teflon would be smart to choose this electric skillet, but they should be aware that over time the Teflon coating may flake off.
This Oster skillet has a temperature control probe that ranges from 105-215 degrees Celsius (approximately 221-419 degrees Fahrenheit). This temperature control probe has written on it exact temperatures within this range to make cooking simple and straightforward.
- Stainless steel
- Lightweight with a large size
- Wide temperature range (105-215 degrees Celsius)
- Equipped with accurate temperature control probe
- Heats quickly
- Almost completely dishwasher safe (probe must be removed)
- Teflon interior may flake off over time
- Uneven cooking
- May require an extension cord in some kitchens
- Humming/buzzing noise when heating
- Pan cannot be removed from base and feet
6. De’Longhi BG45 Electric Skillet – Sturdiest Electric Skillet for a Low Price
The De’Longhi BG45 electric skillet is a dependable kitchen appliance with features that make it an excellent addition to any kitchen.
This electric skillet is larger and heavier than some of the other skillets on this list, due to being made from die-cast aluminum and having a thicker pan. This lends itself well, however, to even heat distribution for efficient cooking.
The nonstick Teflon coating of the De’Longhi B45 skillet is said to last approximately 2-3 years. But, the skillet is dishwasher safe, so it’s extremely easy to clean without the need for any harsh chemicals or scrubbing brushes that would further wear out the nonstick coating.
In addition to have a durable body, the lid of this electric skillet is unique in that it has a special steam vent that can be opened and closed to release steam whenever necessary. The adjustable thermostat makes the cooking process extremely straightforward.
The skillet can be removed from the base, thus turning it into a serving dish. Additionally, in the kitchen this electric skillet from De’Longhi is easy to situate anywhere it’s needed since the 3-foot long cable will be able to reach an outlet wherever it might be.
- Durable design
- Large size
- Cooks food evenly
- Steam vent built-in to lid
- Dishwasher safe
- Teflon surface lasts 2-3 years
- Bulky and heavyweight
- Lid can come loose and let out steam, defeating the purpose of the built-in steam vent
7. Proctor Silex Electric Skillet – Best Electric Skillet for Small Families and Couples
This Proctor Silex electric skillet provides some different and unique features to the home cook than do other electric skillets.
Like nearly all other electric skillets in 2019, the Proctor Silex 38526 model has a nonstick coating and manually adjustable temperature controls. One major difference is the style and size; this skillet is 11.2” wide and 2.5” deep (shallower than some other skillets).
Another major difference is in the temperatures that this skillet is capable of. Other skillets generally reach between 200-400 degrees Fahrenheit, but this skillet only goes to a temperature of about 250 degrees Fahrenheit. This is an important consideration when making a choice.
Cool touch handles and a heat-protected knob on the top of the lid make this electric skillet safe to handle at all times. It’s possible to cook a family meal in this skillet, and because this Proctor Silex skillet cooks food evenly, it’s easy to make food quickly and efficiently.
- Cooks food evenly
- Has high enough temperatures to cook fried chicken
- Takes up minimal counterspace
- Easy to clean
- Not submersible; only the lid is dishwasher safe, the rest of the unit must be cleaned by hand
- Does not heat up to more than 250 degree Fahrenheit
- Must be assembled before use
- Plug sometimes gets very hot during use
8. Presto Electric Skillet – Best Economically-Friendly Electric Skillet
This Presto electric skillet is large and spacious, allowing for larger quantities of food than many of the other skillets on this list. The skillet has a 16” length and a 3” depth (made 4”-5” with the lid), so it has quite an impressive size.
The Presto 06852 electric skillet model is complete with a nonstick coating both on the inside cooking surfaces as well as on the outside of the appliance. This makes the whole appliance easy to clean, and eliminates the possibility that grease will accumulate on the outside surfaces.
As an energy efficient cooking appliance, potential customers can feel good about their purchase knowing that their choice is economical both in terms of money and the environment.
This skillet has adjustable temperatures, just like a regular stove top, so cooks can make any adjustments they wish to make during the cooking process. The Presto 06852 electric skillet is perfect for stir fried dishes, but it can also be used to cook any number of other meals.
- Dishwasher safe
- Nonstick coating on both inside and outside surfaces
- Skillet can be removed to become a serving dish
- 4-5 inches deep
- Large enough to cook for groups of 6-7 people
- May heat unevenly due to the location of the heating element
- Smooth bottom of appliance can mean that it will slide around on polished countertop surfaces
- Thin glass top might shatter when exposed to extreme, prolonged heat
How to Clean and Maintain an Electric Skillet
There are some rules of thumb to follow when cleaning and using an electric skillet to ensure that the longevity of the appliance is adequately preserved. By following these three crucial guidelines, your electric skillet will last longer and keep working beautifully.
1. Always allow the skillet to cool before cleaning
Making sure to give the electric skillet a chance to cool completely before washing lowers the chances that the interior coating will be accidentally damaged during cleaning. Additionally, this practice is safer for the cook since burns are less likely.
2. Take care when washing the skillet
There are certain precautions that must be taken when washing an electric skillet. Not all electric skillets are dishwasher safe, so these rules must be observed under certain circumstances when the electric skillet is not able to be submerged in water.
- Always make sure that the connector plug entry stays out of the water when you clean the electric skillet. Consider filling a sink or a tub with hot, soapy water to gain maximum control.
- It’s also very important to be aware of the electrical parts of the electric skillet during the cleaning process. Whenever possible, avoid getting water on or in these parts.
- Use a dishcloth, nylon pot scraper, or scrubber sponge to clean the skillet itself; these tools will ensure that you don’t accidentally damage the interior nonstick surfaces
- Dry the electric skillet carefully with a dishtowel, and set it in a dish rack to dry completely before the next use.
- The lid of the skillet may usually be washed either by hand or in a dishwasher.
Check your electric skillet’s exact details and instructions for more information. Always read the instructions for your electric skillet before using it so that you completely understand the appliance and can effectively use it safely.
3. Make sure to use the right tools when cooking
The nonstick coating of electric skillets is delicate and must be treated with care. Most experts recommend that customers use plastic or silicone cooking tools to ensure that there’s a minimal chance of scratches and other damage done to the appliance.
Electric Skillet FAQs
1. What is the difference between an electric skillet and an electric griddle?
These two appliances are very similar, but there are some fundamental differences between them
The primary difference between an electric skillet and an electric griddle is the design. An electric griddle has no sides, and the heating elements might be set up differently. This means that the griddle is better suited to cooking pancakes and eggs than is an electric skillet.
2. How hot does an electric skillet get?
The temperatures that electric skillets can reach are variable. Usually, they heat up to 400 or 450 degrees Fahrenheit, but some models may have lower temperature limits.
3. Why is the electric skillet not heating up?
The first step is always to check and see if the electric skillet is plugged into an outlet. After checking that the skillet is indeed plugged in, make sure that the skillet has been turned on.
Commonly when an electric skillet isn’t heating up, users will eventually discover that the temperature control isn’t plugged into the electrical connection of the skillet. This is another important thing to check.
If you’ve checked all of the above things, and everything is in order, consider contacting the customer service center for your electric skillet appliance.
Buying an electric skillet is an important decision with a lot of factors to take into account. The task can be daunting to the first-time customer. But, with enough information and research, making that final decision can be a breeze!
The electric skillet is a wonderful kitchen appliance for any home cook to have. It can also be the perfect solution for a student or traveler in need of a cooking appliance that can work in many different situations within a limited space.